Fall is here, so I thought I would share this recipe I made for the first time last year! I love creating new recipes and I think this one turned out really good. This is very similar to the Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup I created awhile back!
Cheesy Chicken Bacon Chowder, sounds good and is delicious for sure! This does have potatoes in in at well, so it is a very hearty soup that is very comforting to the tummy! I personally have never had corn chowder, but it doesn’t sound that appealing to me, I don’t know why. You are very welcome to throw in some corn if you do like corn chowder, to add more texture and flavor!
Cheesy Chicken Bacon Chowder Recipe
- 3 large russet potatoes (peeled and diced small)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 small onion diced small
- 1 Package of cooked bacon (crumbled) Save the grease
- 1 can of green chili’s ( 4oz)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 oz sharp velveeta cheese
- 1/3 cup corn starch and 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 tsp Season Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt with Parsley
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for topping
- First off, you want to take the bacon grease and add the diced onions to it and potatoes, cook on medium heat, until the onions have sweated a little bit. It will take just a few minutes. Then you will add your 2 cups water, milk and stir often and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling you will take the cornstarch in a small bowl along with the 1/3 cup cold (has to be cold) ice water, and stir that in a separate bowl. Slowly pour the cornstarch mix into the boiling potato mixture, stirring. It will thicken up, should be almost instantly.
- If it doesn’t that means the water wasn’t cold enough or the pan mixture wasn’t hot enough. If it doesn’t thicken after a few minutes you can then just mix another bowl of cornstarch and cold water, and add to boiling potato mix again.
- Once it has thickened, turn down to low, and add the chicken, green chilis, seasonings, most of bacon (leave a little left to top soup with) velveeta, and mix well. Allow to cook for about 5-10 minutes stirring often, the cheese will stick and burn if you don’t.
You can also top it with more shredded cheese and bacon as well. It is so tasty and I was pretty happy with the way this turned out. I hope if you try this out you enjoy it as well! I am going to play around some more and maybe next time add some corn to see how that turns out. Another thing that might be good if you like a bit of a kick, you could add some jalapenos on top to add spice!
Feel free to pin this on Pinterest so you have on hand when you feel like your in the mood. Or print out the recipe to have on hand, by clicking print button above.
Randa @ The Bewitchin' Kitchen says
MMM, I love Chowder. This sounds great.
Lisa Weidknecht says
Sounds yummy! Of course, anything with bacon sounds yummy!
Tiffany C. says
Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious.
Amanda @ Mommy of Two Little Monkeys says
This looks so good! The bacon is making me droool
Sue Hull says
I love clam chowder and your chowder looks delish. Corn chowder isn’t good. I love corn & corn on the cob but the chowder not so much. Thank you for sharing 🙂
Thanks Sue!! ya I have never had corn chowder.. but doesn’t really appeal much to me!
maria @ close to home says
wow that looks amazing. thanks for linking up to friday food frenzy this week!! hope you got some inspriration for next week’s menu!
Marcie W. says
Super yum and perfect for the cooler weather!
This has to be good! I love anything with bacon.
Kristin Wheeler (@MamaLuvsBooks) says
WOW! This looks so yummy for the fall! Pinning!
Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins says
Mmmm, that looks so delicious!
This looks very yummy. I love bacon and cheese and I would totally devour this.
TerriAnn @ Driving Mama says
This sounds delicious! I’m all about cheese and bacon so I love that you used them to make a full-blown hearty soup!
Vanessa: thequeenofswag says
What a great easy recipe to make.
This just looks and sounds delicious!
Anne - Mommy Has to Work says
Umm, chicken and bacon, yes please!! Looks amazing!
That looks like my kind of soup!
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
Yum! I’m looking forward to hearty fall dishes.