Do you ever have a craving that won’t go away? Well, last week I had that feeling, and I was craving a Chicken Fried Hamburgers with mashed potatoes and gravy.
This is exactly like a chicken fried steak, you just use hamburger instead! They are pretty easy to make, and it hit the spot!! I always like gravy and mashed potatoes with this, but you can do fries, or whatever you want!
Depending on the size of your family you will want to make a larger batch. We just used 1 lb of hamburger as it is just the two of us. So that is what the recipe is for.
Chicken Fried Hamburgers Recipe
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 cup bread flour (you can use white flour I just prefer bread)
- 6 saltine crackers crumbled up very fine. (I just put in a ziploc and used my roller to smash them)
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Oil to fry
How to Make Chicken Fried Hamburgers:
- First off – you can make any size patties you want. You can make them bigger or small, I did a little of both.
- Now you will want to get your patties made from the hamburger and set aside.
- Then add your milk and eggs in a bowl and mix them up and set aside.
- In a bowl or plate mix the flour, crackers, season salt, and pepper together.
- Then in skillet add oil to cover the bottom (won’t take much). Turn it on to medium-low.
- Here is the fun part!! You will take a hamburger patty, dip into the egg mixture covering the hamburger, then dip it into the flour mixture. Take that same patty and dip it into the egg again, and flour. It will give you a nice coating!! Do this with each patty until you are done. When the oil is heated up you can put in each patty into the skillet. Cook until the hamburgers are cooked through, and nice and golden brown on the breading.
One thing I noticed is if you turn your patties over to quick the breading won’t stick as good. So make sure to let them cook for a few minutes before flipping them. Just use your best judgement :-)!Then serve with potatoes and gravy, or any other side! Hope you enjoy them like we do!
What a creative idea! My husband, the Hamburglar himself, will love this!
Hahahha love it Sarah – Hamburgular 😛
Jennifer H says
This sounds easy enough! 🙂
I just found tonight’s dinner! This looks scrumptious and super easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing!!!
Your welcome enjoy Michelle!
Ooo, I am pinning this recipe for sure! Looks tasty! Thanks!
Oh, my boyfriend would LOVE this! I haev added it to my “to try” list 🙂
What a creative way to dress up a plain burger, I love this!
Looks yummy, I’ll have to try this with the veggie burgers! I see you like white gravy too! 🙂
Yes I think veggie burgers would be yummy too!! I am a huge white gravy fan 🙂
Nicole @ One Punky Mama says
Yum! My hubby loves chicken fried steak – I’ve never tried making it myself though. Thanks for sharing!
Simple and looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a try.
That looks delicious. Low carb and it is perfect for someone like me who is trying to lose weight.
looks great! I’ll try to cook this soon! thanks for sahring
Your welcome Iris, enjoy :-)!
Trina @ Filipino Chicken Recipes says
Yummy!.. I will give it a try, thanks for sharing!..
My husband would be in heaven if I made these for him!! I pinned it so I can try it soon! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Visiting from What’s Cooking Wednesday.
Thanks for stopping by, and if you make it hope you enjoy!
Cindy McRae says
Tonight is the second time we have made these and we love them!
Oh I am so glad you like this recipe! We eat them from time to time, they are just so good!!!
MeMe R says
I was just thinking chicken for dinner tomorrow. I think I am going to try this as one of my resolution this year is less red meat and adding more fish into my husbands diet. I think he will like this as he loves the beef version of this a lot.
Sharleen Taylor says
This sounds great, but I was wondering if it would be better to chill the patties or freeze for a few minutes, to set the meat, and make it easier to bread and fry. Do you chill the meat?