I can honestly say I have never had chicken on a pizza until a few days ago. I have seen people order chicken pizza but I have never had the strong urge to go out and try it. The other day I made some shredded chicken leftover from my last meal, and I was racking my brain on what to use it for. I then thought hmmm is now the time to try a BBQ Chicken Pizza? I went ahead and decided why not. Worst it will be is terrible, and I can just find something to fill me up.
So I ventured out of a comfort zone bubble I had been living in and created a BBQ Chicken Bacon Pizza. I made homemade crust with Bisquick. My sister-in-law had been raving on how good the crust was when she made her pizza, and I thought why not, I have everything on hand. For me I was kind of let down. My husband made a good point, the Bisquick crust would make a great breakfast pizza crust, as it has more of a consistency of a biscuit, rather then pizza crust.
My overall thoughts on the pizza… it was okay. I wouldn’t say it was grand and a pizza I will make again. I just don’t think chicken on pizza is that good, and it was edible just didn’t really do anything outrageous for my taste buds. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law raved when they made their chicken pizza similar to this one. So for me I think it is just because I never thought it would be that great in the first place. I like to try new recipes because you never know, it could be your new favorite food!!
So if you have had chicken bacon pizza before this recipe is super easy and you can always add red onions and such on the pizza to add more flavor if you want!
Ingredients for crust:
- 2 cups Bisquick (plus extra to roll out dough)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup hot water
Ingredients for Topping:
- Shredded chicken with barbecue sauce (feel free to use however much you want. on chicken)
- extra barbecue sauce to spread on crust
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits or crumbled fresh bacon
- First off you want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While that is warming up you can start on your crust mixture.
- I added the Bisquick, sour cream, and hot water into my KitchenAid mixer. Mixed it on low until it formed into a ball. Only took a minute or so. Once it forms you will want to lay your dough on the counter with a little Bisquick for dusting. Roll out the dough to form a crust. You might need to knead it a few times to keep it all together.
- Once the dough is laid out on pizza pan. Apply a thin layer of barbecue sauce of your choice, then top with bbq chicken. Then layer on bacon, both shredded cheeses. Add as much or as little as you want.
- Place in oven and bake for around 10-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and all the cheese and such is melted. Depending on where you live, will affect cooking time.
Serve and enjoy!