If you are looking to step out of your daily menu, try this Saffron Shrimp with Gnocchi! I had never had Gnocchi before, so it was something new for us. If you are like me and maybe not extremely adventurous with food, gnocchi is a soft dumpling. They do have different styles of it, from potato, bread crumbs, cornmeal and so on. The ones we had were potato based, and we all really liked them!
Since Clay is under 1, he wasn’t able to eat the shrimp, as little babies can’t have shellfish. So we created a little meal for him that he was able to eat! So don’t worry, we didn’t give him any of the shrimp!
This is a really pretty dish, the saffron give the gnocchi and shrimp that really pretty orange color, and to top it with the basil really makes it pop! I thought it was a really fun dish to whip up, and the presentation was amazing!
- 1 lb Raw Shrimp
- 1 Package of Gnocchi (17.6 ounce)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup basil sliced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/16 tsp saffron
- First off in one pan you want to bring your water to a boil for the gnocchi. Cook gnocchi as directed on packet and set aside.
- In a skillet take the olive oil and get warm, then add in your shallot and garlic.
- Once you are able to smell the aroma add in your tomato paste, and add a little salt and pepper to taste. Cook this for 2-3 minutes, you want to be able to smell the tomato paste when you are cooking it.
- Next salt and pepper your shrimp, and then toss with the saffron and mix up till the shrimp is coated.
- Toss in the pan with the tomato, garlic, and shallot. Cook on medium high for 2-4 minutes, or until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Then add your cooked gnocchi that is drained, with the shrimp and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in your diced tomatoes and 3/4 of your chopped basil.
- Serve and top with the extra basil for looks.
You do have a few steps in this recipe, but it is really a fun twist. Now if you are not a fan of saffron you will not like this recipe, as it has a stronger saffron flavor. If you are not sure if you like it, just know it is a little bit of a different flavor.
I know we will make this in the future, it is a nice treat! I have never been a huge seafood lover but I do enjoy shrimp! One day I would love to try lobster, as I never have. I think I might enjoy it!